Updated: Jan 25
In the initial classes of Journalism and Mass communication, I had a lecture about how to write a news article or any article in general. We were taught that a piece of information is only complete if we have included the 5W's and 1 H principle. If we have answers for all of this and have included them in the article, it is considered a finished one. So 5 W's means what, when, why, who, where and 1 H is how.
So lets first tackle the "What" here. What is a vision board?
Vision Board also known as the Dream board is basically a collage of images, pictures that align with one's dreams, aspirations, and works in accordance with the law of attraction. It is designed to motivate and inspire people to get to what they really want. The law of attraction is simply the thought that positive thinking brings positivity in one's life and vice versa.
So when and who makes a vision board?
Actually, anybody can create one. A student, working professional, stay at home mom anybody for that matter. Each of us play different roles in a day and we have our own set of priorities, dreams, and aspirations and that is what makes our vision boards unique.
Now, why do we have to make a vision board?
1. Knowing yourself better:
Most of us do not have a clear idea of our priorities until asked questions about it. So when you sit down to curate a vision board, you are making use of the opportunity of asking yourself deep questions and figuring out what's most important to you in life. In a way, you are giving voice to the mumbles of your heart.
2. Feel aligned:
Once your vision or dream is put down on paper, we feel more aligned, more centered. Every time you need to make a decision, you now have a clear cut idea of what you want and whether this decision of yours is going to wade you from the chartered path or not.
After a tiring day which you proclaim was unproductive with respect to the vision you have, the board can get you motivated and replenish your energy which in turn would help you chase your dreams rather than just give up.
4. Prepped well:
The board prepares you well in advance. It is like giving you a framework of what to be done in order to reach your end goal. It helps with the visualization of your dream.
This is my favorite part. You get to be creative and do anything as you please. I love adding my own little emojis, quotes along with pictures and some people put in a timeline for their goals. So you can literally do anything and everything with your vision board.
Now let's talk about how to make one?
1. As I told you already, there are no hard and fast rules for this. I will tell you what I did. I narrowed down my priorities into five subsets- Spirituality, Personal life, fitness, travel, and psychology.
2. Then I googled pictured related to them. Like in the travel section, I added pictures of the places I wanted to visit. Likewise added quotes and images in all the subsets of mine.
3. Since I am not a person with a timeline I just made my vision board keeping my year in mind. So when I have achieved something, I make sure that I remove it and I keep on adding more accordingly. I already mentioned, there are no hard and fast rules, just do what works for you.
4. So all these images are now put on chart papers or craft ones. I write on some and make it very personal.
5. Placing the vision board is equally important. I have put it up in a place where I can easily see it even when I am working and have made sure that the vision board is the first thing I see when I wake up.
So this, in short, is everything you need to know about the vision board.
One of my favorite movie is "The Pursuit of Happyness" and there is a famous dialogue that Chris Gardener says to his son- " You got a dream, you gotta protect it".
I perceive vision boards as those cryptic boxes that keep my dream safe, which protects my dream and keeps me aligned to it.
Create a vision board for yourself, and it's sure to change your perspective about life.
Ready to crush 2020 actually...